Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The UK coronavirus death toll is now 43,081, following 154 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- In total, 306,862 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK.
- Health leaders have come together to call for an urgent review to “ensure that the country is adequately prepared to contain a second phase” of the coronavirus pandemic.
- People in Britain have increased their internet use by an average of 14% during lockdown, according to an Ofcom report.
- The coronavirus death toll in Latin America surpassed 100,000 today, according to a Reuters tally.
- Medical charities have warned the UK will lose a decade of research if the government does not replace hundreds of millions of pounds in lost income due to the pandemic.
- A quarter of furloughed workers are likely to lose their jobs when the Job Retention Scheme ends, according to a poll of 2,000 employers.
- Men’s world no. 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic has apologised after he tested positive for coronavirus
- There are now over 9.2m cases around the world.