Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The UK death toll from Covid-19 has risen to 11,329 after another 717 reported deaths in the last 24 hours.
- The number of confirmed UK infections is 88,621 with a total of 290,720 people tested.
- Boris Johnson will continue his recovery from Covid-19 at the prime ministerial country retreat of Chequers.
- The prime minister has now tested negative for the virus after “significant level of specialist treatment”, Downing Street confirmed.
- A New Zealand nurse has said treating the PM was a “surreal” experience.
- More than 200 members of the armed forces will be loaned to NHS ambulance services to help trusts during the pandemic.
- French President Emmanuel Macron has warned the lockdown in France will likely extend “well into May”.
- Mortuary suppliers in the UK have warned they are in danger of running out of body bags and other essential stock.
- China has reported its highest number of new cases for six weeks,with the outbreak centred near its northeastern border with Russia.
- Italy and Spain have both began to lift some lockdown restrictions as the number of daily deaths continue to fall in Europe’s worst hit countries.
- Tottenham Hotspur has reversed its decision to furlough some of its non-playing staff after an online backlash.